The World 9s will be returning to Melbourne in February 2021. More information will be announced soon!
An initiative of Australian Football International (AFI), the inaugural World 9s were held in Melbourne on Saturday 16 February, 2019. The venue was Lakeside Stadium, Albert Park.
It was a historic day for our great game, as we launched our strategy to have Footy 9s included in the Olympic Games.
- 8 national teams (representing Melbourne’s multicultural communities).
- 9-a-side (maximum of 15 players per squad).
- Matches commenced every 35 minutes to facilitate a carnival type atmosphere.
- Each match consisted of 2 x 14 minute halves, plus 2 minutes for half-time.
- Each team played a minimum of 3 matches during the event.
- Each team played in their national colours.
- The top two teams in each Division advanced to the Grand Final.