AFL 7s is a non-contact version of Aussie Rules that has been played since 2005 by people of all ages and abilities. Teams are mixed and no prior experience is required. It’s also great fun to play!
The main differences from other versions are:
- You only need 7 players to play AFL 7s. So it’s very easy to get a team together!
- In other versions when the ball hits the ground it’s a turnover, severely interrupting the flow of play. In AFL 7s it is play on, just like real footy!
How does it work?
- Teams consist of 7 players per side – 2 forwards, 3 midfielders and 2 backs.
- All teams must have a minimum of 2 females.
- No tackling is allowed.
- Only the forward line may score for their team.
- Goals kicked by females are worth 9 points (super goals).
- Goals can only be kicked from marks taken in the forward zone.