Japan is an island nation in East Asia. Located in the Pacific Ocean, it lies to the east of the Sea of Japan, China, North Korea, South Korea and Russia, stretching from the Sea of Okhotsk in the north to the East China Sea and Taiwan in the south.
The characters that make up Japan’s name mean “sun-origin”, which is why Japan is sometimes referred to as the “Land of the Rising Sun”.
Japan is an archipelago of 6,852 islands. The four largest islands are Honshū, Hokkaidō, Kyūshū and Shikoku, together accounting for 97 percent of Japan’s land area.
Japan has the world’s tenth-largest population, with over 125 million people. The Greater Tokyo Area, which includes the de facto capital city of Tokyo and several surrounding prefectures, is the largest metropolitan area in the world, with over 30 million residents.
Japan has the world’s third-largest economy, having achieved remarkable growth in the second half of the 20th Century after the devastation of World War II. Its multinationals are household names.
The objectives of AFI Japan include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Japanese school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Japan
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Japan
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Japan
- Building and enhancing people to people links between Australia and Japan
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.