Footy 9s is an exciting variation of Aussie Rules Football that presents dynamic new opportunities to grow the game internationally.
Footy 9s can be played on any rectangular field, and uses existing goalposts and field markings.
- Footy 9s is an exciting new take on traditional Aussie Rules football.
- Matches are played on Rugby fields.
- Each team consists of 9 players – 3 forwards, 3 midfielders and 3 backs.
- The game starts with a jump ball in the middle of the field (and after each goal).
- The object is to score more goals than the opposing team.
- A goal is scored when the ball is kicked through the posts. There are no behind posts.
- When the ball hits any part of the posts and continues through, it is a goal.
- When the ball hits any part of the posts and comes back into the field, it is play on.
- The ball is moved around the field by either a kick or handball. No kicking off the ground is permitted.
- When the ball goes out of bounds by either foot or hand, the nearest opponent shall kick the ball in.
- Players can go anywhere on the field and there is no off-side rule.