Austria is a small, predominantly mountainous country in Central Europe. It has a total area of 83,859 km², about twice the size of Switzerland.
It is bordered by Germany and the Czech Republic to the north, Slovakia and Hungary to the east, Slovenia and Italy to the south, and Switzerland and Liechtenstein to the west.
Austria’s terrain is highly mountainous due to the presence of the Alps; only 32% of the country is below 500 metres, and its highest point is 3,797 metres.
The majority of the population speaks German, which is also the country’s official language. Other local official languages are Croatian, Hungarian and Slovene.
The origins of modern-day Austria date back to the time of the Habsburg dynasty when the vast majority of the country was a part of the Holy Roman Empire.
The objectives of AFI Austria include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Austrian school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Austria
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Austria
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Austria
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.