Bulgaria is a country situated in south-eastern Europe, bordering five other countries: Romania to the north (mostly along the Danube), Serbia and the Republic of Macedonia to the west, and Greece and Turkey to the south. The Black Sea defines the extent of the country to the east.
With a territory of 110,994 square kilometers, it ranks as the 16th-largest country in Europe. The 378 km Black Sea coastline covers the entire eastern boundary of the country.
The emergence of a unified Bulgarian state dates back to the establishment of the First Bulgarian Empire in 681 AD, which dominated most of the Balkans and functioned as a cultural hub for Slavs during the Middle Ages.
Bulgaria’s population of 7.4 million people is predominantly urbanised and mainly concentrated in the administrative centres of its 28 provinces. Most commercial and cultural activities are centered on the capital and largest city, Sofia.
The objectives of AFI Bulgaria include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Bulgarian school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Bulgaria
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Bulgaria
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Bulgaria
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.