Cyprus is the third largest island in the Mediterranean (after the Italian islands of Sicily and Sardinia) and the world’s 81st largest. It measures 240 km long from end to end and 100 km wide at its widest point, with Turkey 75 km to the north.
Other neighbouring territories include Syria and Lebanon to the east (105 km and 108 km, respectively), Israel 200 km to the southeast, Egypt 380 km to the south, and Greece to the northwest: 280 km to the small Dodecanesian island of Kastellórizo (Meyísti), 400 km to Rhodes, and 800 km to the Greek mainland.
The Cyprus Republic has de jure sovereignty over the island of Cyprus. However, the Republic of Cyprus is de facto partitioned into two main parts; the area under the effective control of the Republic, comprising about 59% of the island’s area, and the north, administered by the self-declared Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, which is recognised only by Turkey, covering about 37% of the island’s area.
The objectives of AFI Cyprus include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Cyprus school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Cyprus
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Cyprus
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Cyprus
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.