Situated in north-eastern Europe with a coastline along the Baltic Sea, Latvia is geographically the middle of the three former Soviet Baltic republics.
It is bordered to the north by Estonia (343 km), to the south by Lithuania (588 km), to the east by the Russian Federation (276 km), and to the southeast by Belarus (141 km). Across the Baltic Sea to the west lies Sweden.
Latvia is traditionally seen as a small country. In terms of its population it certainly deserves this designation. Geographically, however, Latvia encompasses 64,589 square kilometers, a size surpassing that of better-known European states such as Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and Denmark.
Latvia has language links with Lithuania to the south and historical ties with Estonia to the north.
The objectives of AFI Latvia include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Latvian school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Latvia
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Latvia
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Latvia
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.