Lithuania is a country in Northern Europe, the southernmost of the three Baltic states. Situated along the southeastern shore of the Baltic Sea, it shares borders with Latvia to the north, Belarus to the southeast, Poland, and the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad to the southwest.
Across the Baltic Sea to the west lies Sweden and Denmark.
The largest and most populous of the Baltic states, it is larger than Belgium, Denmark, Latvia, the Netherlands, or Switzerland. Its capital and largest city is Vilnius.
During Soviet rule, Lithuanians relied on Catholic tradition and memories of independence to preserve their national identity, a skill mastered through centuries of foreign domination.
Not much more than a decade after it regained its independence during the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1990, Lithuania joined the EU in 2004.
The objectives of AFI Lithuania include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Lithuanian school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Lithuania
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Lithuania
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Lithuania
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.