Portugal is a country located in southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula. It is the westernmost country of Europe and is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west and south and by Spain to the north and east.
The Atlantic archipelagos of the Azores and Madeira are part of Portugal.
The geography of mainland Portugal is split by its main river, the Tagus that flows from Spain and disgorges in Tagus Estuary, before escaping into the Atlantic.
Portugal’s Exclusive Economic Zone, a seazone over which the Portuguese have special rights over the exploration and use of marine resources, has 1,727,408 km2. This is the 3rd largest Exclusive Economic Zone of the European Union and the 11th largest in the world.
Portugal’s history has had a lasting impact on the culture of the country with Moorish and Oriental influences in architecture and the arts. Traditional folk dance and music remain vibrant.
The objectives of AFI Portugal include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Portuguese school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Portugal
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Portugal
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Portugal
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.