The Republic of Slovenia is a country in Central Europe touching the Alps and bordering the Mediterranean. Slovenia borders Italy on the west, the Adriatic Sea on the southwest, Croatia on the south and east, Hungary on the northeast, and Austria on the north. The capital and largest city of Slovenia is Ljubljana.
Around 40% of Slovenia’s land mass is elevated land—mostly in the form of mountains and plateaus—which is located in the interior regions of the country. The highest point of Slovenia is the 2,864 metre high Mount Triglav. Slovenia’s Adriatic coastline stretches approximately 47 km from Italy to Croatia.
Around half of the country is covered by forests; the third most forested country in Europe, after Finland and Sweden.
The objectives of AFI Slovenia include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Slovenian school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Slovenia
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Slovenia
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Slovenia
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.