Australian Football International (AFI) has been established as a body to grow and develop the sport of Australian Rules Football internationally. Our focus is on Footy 9s and community development.
What are AFI’s aims and objectives?
Our major aim is to empower people and communities through sport. Sport is fundamental to society, culture and economy. Participation in sport improves mental and physical health, enhances community well-being and contributes significantly to employment.
What does AFI do?
Just some of AFI’s many achievements to date have included:
- Creation of the AFL International Cup, Melbourne
- Creation of the annual Euro Cup (9 a-side European championships)
- Creation of the annual Harmony Cup, Melbourne
- Creation of the World 9s, Melbourne
- Creation of the annual ANZAC Cup, France
- Establishing the Aussie Rules Schools junior program in the UK
- Establishing a National League in the UK, including teams from England & Wales
- Introducing the game to Botswana, Mozambique, Kenya & Zimbabwe
- Staging a demonstration match at the Africa Games, Mozambique
- Staging a demonstration match at the TAFISA World Sport for All Games, Lithuania
- Appointing full-time Development Officers in the Pacific through the Australian Youth Ambassadors (AYAD) program
- Development of a pilot project for Latin American schools in Santiago, Chile
- Creation of the United Nations of Footy
- Creation of Footy 9s, allowing the game to be played on smaller fields internationally
What is the relationship between AFI and the AFL?
We are recognised by the AFL as an independent body that has been established with the objective to grow the game of Australian Football internationally.
Who does AFI work with?
We partner with organisations that work to make a positive difference to the quality of people’s lives. We work with governments, NGOs, companies and individuals.
I would love to get involved. How do I contact AFI?
We are always keen to hear from individuals and organisations who are passionate about growing our great game, whilst also making a difference. You can contact us via the details below:
GPO Box 710, Melbourne VIC 3001, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61 435 092 987