FOOTY 9s ON A RUGBY FIELD
Footy 9s can be played on any Rugby field, and uses existing goals, field markings and scoreboard settings. No changes are needed to convert venues designed for Rugby – all you need is a footy!
- Each team consists of 9 players – 3 forwards, 3 midfielders and 3 backs.
- The game starts with a jump ball in the middle of the field.
- The midfielders start in the middle of the field, whilst the forwards and backs start behind the 22m line.
- The object is to score more goals than the opposing team.
- A goal is scored when the ball is kicked through the posts. There are no behind posts.
- If the ball hits any part of the post and continues through the goals, it is a goal.
- If the ball hits any part of the post and comes back into the field of play, it is play on.
- The ball is moved around the field by either a kick (out of the hands) or handball.
- No kicking off the ground is permitted.
- Players can go anywhere on the field and there is no off-side rule.