Mexico is a federal constitutional republic bordered on the north by the USA; on the south and west by the Pacific Ocean; on the southeast by Guatemala, Belize, and the Caribbean Sea; and on the east by the Gulf of Mexico.
Covering almost 2 million square kilometres, Mexico is the 5th largest country in the Americas by total area and the 13th largest independent nation in the world. With an estimated population of over 112 million, it is the 11th most populous country and the most populous Spanish-speaking country. Mexico is a federation comprising 31 states and a Federal District, the capital city.
On its north, Mexico shares a 3,141 km border with the US. The meandering Río Bravo del Norte (known as the Rio Grande in the US) defines the border from Ciudad Juárez east to the Gulf of Mexico. A series of natural and artificial markers delineate the US-Mexican border west from Ciudad Juárez to the Pacific Ocean. On its south, Mexico shares an 871 km border with Guatemala and a 251 km border with Belize.
The objectives of AFI Mexico include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Mexican school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in Mexico
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Mexico
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Mexico
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.