The United Arab Emirates is a country situated in the southeast of the Arabian Peninsula on the Persian Gulf, bordering Oman to the east and Saudi Arabia to the south, as well as sharing sea borders with Qatar to the west and Iran to the north.
The UAE is a federation of 7 emirates (equivalent to principalities) – Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, and Umm al-Quwain. The capital is Abu Dhabi, which is also the state’s center of political, industrial, and cultural activities.
The largest emirate, Abu Dhabi, accounts for 87% of the UAE’s total area (67,340 square kilometers). The smallest emirate, Ajman, encompasses only 259 square kilometers.
The United Arab Emirates were formed in 1971 by the then Trucial States after independence from Britain. Although each emirate maintains a large degree of independence, the UAE is governed by a Supreme Council of Rulers made up of the seven emirs, who appoint the prime minister and the cabinet.
The objectives of AFI UAE include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the UAE school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Introducing Footy 9s as a university sport in UAE
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in UAE
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in UAE
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.