Tuvalu, formerly known as the Ellice Islands, is a Polynesian island nation located in the Pacific Ocean, midway between Hawaii and Australia. It comprises 3 reef islands and 6 true atolls.
Its nearest neighbours are Kiribati, Nauru, Samoa and Fiji.
At just 26 square kilometres Tuvalu is the fourth smallest country in the world, larger only than the Vatican City at 0.44 km2, Monaco at 1.98 km2 and Nauru at 21 km2.
The 3 reef islands are Nanumanga, Niutao, Niulakita and the six true atolls are Funafuti, Nanumea, Nui, Nukufetau, Nukulaelae and Vaitupu.
The highest elevation is 4.6 metres above sea level on Niulakita, which gives Tuvalu the second-lowest maximum elevation of any country (after the Maldives).
The objectives of AFI Tuvalu include:
- Encouraging participation at the grassroots level, with a focus on youth and community development
- Establishing Footy 9s in the Tuvalu school sports curriculum at both primary and secondary level
- Providing players with the opportunity to compete in competitions at school and club level in Tuvalu
- Establishing National Teams (men & women) to compete in matches against other countries
- Securing recognition of Footy 9s as an official sport in Tuvalu
If you are interested in being involved, please contact us.