AFI is pleased to confirm that the next World 9s will be held in Darwin on Saturday 13 August, 2022.
Like Melbourne, Darwin is a vibrant multicultural city and we are very excited to bring the World 9s to the NT for the very first time!
An initiative of Australian Football International (AFI), the inaugural World 9s were held in Melbourne on Saturday 16 February, 2019. The venue was Lakeside Stadium, Albert Park. It was a historic day for our great game, as we launched our strategy to have Footy 9s included in the Olympic Games.
The 2021 World 9s returned in Melbourne on 6 February, 2021. It was a huge success, with the competition expanding from 8 to 16 teams.
We currently have 8 team confirmed for the 2022 World 9s in Darwin:
Team Larrakia, Greece, Ireland, Pacific Island Chiefs, New Zealand, USA, Team Africa and Timor-Leste Crocs.
We look forward to seeing you in Darwin in August 2022!
- 12 national teams (representing Darwin’s multicultural communities).
- 2 x Playing Fields
- 2 Divisions – Men’s & Women’s
- 9-a-side (maximum of 15 players per squad)
- Matches will commence every 40 minutes to facilitate a carnival type atmosphere
- Each match consists of 2 x 15 minute halves, plus 3 minutes for half-time
- Each team will play a minimum of 3 matches during the event
- Each team will play in their national colours
- 2 Grand Finals – Men’s & Women’s