An initiative of Australian Football International (AFI), the inaugural World 9s were held in Melbourne on Saturday 16 February, 2019. The venue was Lakeside Stadium, Albert Park.
It was a historic day for our great game, as we launched our strategy to have Footy 9s included in the Olympic Games.
2021 WORLD 9s
The 2021 World 9s returned in Melbourne on 6 February, 2021. The venue was the Box Hill Rugby Union Football Club, which enjoys great facilities, including 3 full size rugby fields. It was a huge success, with the competition expanding from 8 to 16 teams.
2022 World 9s
AFI is pleased to confirm that the World 9s will be returning to Melbourne in February 2022.
- 16 national teams (representing Melbourne’s multicultural communities).
- 3 x Playing Fields.
- 3 Divisions – Division 1, Division 2 and Women’s.
- 9-a-side (maximum of 15 players per squad).
- Matches will commence every 40 minutes to facilitate a carnival type atmosphere.
- Each match consists of 2 x 15 minute halves, plus 3 minutes for half-time.
- Each team will play a minimum of 3 matches during the event.
- Each team will play in their national colours.
- 3 Grand Finals – Division 1, Division 2 and Women’s.